I absolutely had to share this poem because I read it in a book and I just thought it was very inspiring. It is long, but very, very worth the few minutes it takes to read. I hope you enjoy it.

The Race by D.H. Grobert

"Quit!" Give up!" You're beaten!"
They shout at me and plead.
"There's just too much against you now.
This time you can't succeed!"

And as I start to hang my head
In front of failure's face,
My downward fall is broken by
The memory of a race.

And hope refills my weakened will
As I recall that scene;
For just the thought of that short race
Rejuvenates my being.

II.

A children's race- young boys, young menH
ow I remember well
Excitement, sure! But also fear;
It wasn't hard to tell.
They all lined up so full of hope;
Each thought to win that race.
Or tie for first, or if not that,
At least take second place.

And fathers watched from off the side
Each cheering for his son.
And each boy hoped to show his dad
That he would be the one.

The whistle blew and off they went!
Young hearts and hopes afire.
To win and be the hero there
Was each boy's young desire.

And one boy in particular
Whose dad was in the crowd,
Was running near the lead and thought,
"My dad will be so proud!"

But as they speeded down the field
Across a shallow dip,
The little boy who thought to win
Lost his step and slipped.

Trying hard to catch himself
His hands flew out to brace,
And mid the laughter of the crowd
He fell flat on his face.

So down he fell and with him hope
He couldn't win it now-
Embarassed, sad, he only wished
To disappear somehow.

But as he fell his dad stood up
and showed his anxious face
Which to the son so clearly said:
"Get up and win the race."

He quickly, no damage done.
Behind a bity, that's all-
And ran with all his mind and might
To make up for his fall.

So anxious to restore himself
To catch up and to win-
His mind went faster than his legs
He slipped and fell again!

He wished then he had quit before
With only one disgrace.
"I'm hopeless as a runner now;
I shouldn't try to race."

But in the laughing crowd he searched
And found his father's face.
That steady look which said again:
"Get up and win the race!"

So up he jumped to try again
Ten yards behind the last-
"If I'm to gain those yards," he thought,
"I've got to move real fast."

Excerting everything he had
He gained eight or ten
But trying so hard to catch the lead
He slipped and fell again!

Defeat! He lay there silently
A tear dropped from his eye-
"There's no sense running any more;
Three strikes: I'm out! Why try?"

The will to rise had disappeared
All hope had fled away;
So far behind, so error prone;
A loser all the way.

"I've lost, so what's the use," he thought.
"I'll live with my disgrace."
But then he thought about his dad
Who soon he'd have to face.

"Get up," an echo sounded low.
"Get up and take your place;
You were not meant for failure here.
Get up and win the race."

"With borrowed will, get up," it said,
"You haven't lost at all,
For winning is no more than this:
To rise each time you fall."

So up he rose to run once more,
And with a new commit
He resolved that win ore lose
At least he wouldn't quit.

So far behind the others now,
The most he'd ever been-
Still he gave it all he had
And ran as though to win.

Three times he'd fallen, stumbling;
Three times he rose again;
Too far behind to hope to win
He still ran to the end.

They cheered the winning runner
As he crossed the line first place
Head high, and proud, and happy;
No falling, no disgrace.

But when the fallen youngster
Crossed the line last place,
The crowd gave him the greater cheer
For finishing the race.

And even though he came in last
With head bowed low, unproud,
You owuld have thought he'd won the race
To listn to the crowd.

And to his dad he sadly said,
"I didn't do so well,"
"To me, you won," his father said,
"You rose each time you fell."

III.
And now when things seem dark and hard
And difficult to face,
The memory of that little boy
Helps me in my own race.

For all of life is like that race,
With ups and downs and all.
And all you have to do to win,
Is rise each time you fall.

"Quit! Give up! You're beaten!"
They still shout in my face
But another voice within me says:
"GET UP AND WIN THE RACE!"

Comments

Josh Garlow said…
I actually DO like the Tigers, but the Padres numero uno in my house!

peace out,

Popular posts from this blog

Pleasz Roy Daniels, Roy Daniels Grand Rapids, Michigan a.k.a. Mark Roy Daniels